Frequently Asked Questions
DO YOU OFFER COUNSELLING TO JUST ONE PERSON IN A RELATIONSHIP?
Yes, if you are in a couple and are seeking some assistance in your relationship as an individual, Kathleen offers individual counselling from the “relational paradigm”, holding your current relationship in the background. Note: Because of obvious biases, Kathleen avoids seeing couples if one person in the relationship has received individual counselling.
ABOUT THE COUPLES’ WEEKEND RETREATS
WHO ARE THE COUPLES WEEKEND RETREATS FOR?
Getting the Love You Want Couples Weekend Retreats are for:
- Couples who have a good marriage / relationship and want to make it even greater
- Couples who are wondering whether there is any hope for their marriage / relationship
- Couples who feel stuck and can’t seem to move forward
- Couples who want to discover the full potential of themselves & their relationship
- Couples who feel their relationship is stagnant or boring
- Therapists who want to find a great resource for their clients (and their OWN relationship!)
- Couples who seem to fight about the same things over and over
- Couples who are disillusioned in their relationship, need new ways of communication, feel distant or alone from their partner, or feel smothered
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE COUPLE'S WEEKEND RETREAT?
To provide couples with state of the art tools and information that can not only empower them to create an exceptional marriage or relationship, but can also empower each partner to realize his or her full potential as an individual.
WHAT IS THE FORMAT OF THE WEEKEND RETREAT?
The weekend retreat includes Friday afternoon and two full days (Saturday and Sunday) with breaks throughout the day. We strongly recommend that couples make arrangements to stay at the Juniper Hotel or a local hotel in Banff where the retreat is being held for 3 reasons:
1) The first day begins at 1 pm and is completed at 6 pm. We will resume on Saturday and Sunday morning at 9 am. The days are full and intense. There will be time for you to have a dinner on Friday and Saturday to take in the relaxing environment of Banff National Park and integrate what you have learned. Our day will end at 6:30 pm on Saturday and Sunday at 4:30pm.
2) If you go home you tend to get distracted by telephones, children, and other details that will pull you away from the focus of your relationship. We want you to stay connected throughout the weekend and maximize your connection.
3) Your marriage or relationship is worth two full days and an afternoon of your time to do the exploration and re-discovery to take it to the next level of fulfillment and satisfaction.
DO I HAVE TO SHARE WITH THE GROUP?
The instructor will use lecture, written and experiential activities and practice of skills. You will not be required to share more than your name with a larger group. Sometimes in small weekend retreats we may ask people to identify their first name and three things that drew them to your partner when you first met and what brings you to the weekend retreat. Even when we do that, you always have the option to pass. You will work mostly with your own partner and occasionally on your own.
WHERE IS THE WEEKEND HELD?
The weekend retreat is held at a relaxing hotel just outside of Banff – The Juniper Hotel. It is nestled in forest and trees and offers incredible views of the mountains. The retreat feeling of being away from it all is evident with the wildlife that appears in the surrounding area. The setting with the many nature trails make it a great place to relax, feel safe, offering individuals to show up and do their relational work.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE TOPICS THAT WILL BE COVERED?
- What is attraction all about and how do you know if you are with the right partner.
- Information that can help you realize more of your potential as an individual and as a couple
- How your past relationships (in your family and other relationships) affect you in your current marriage or relationship
- Tools for transforming conflict into something that can bring you closer together instead of something that drives you further apart.
- Stages of relationship and how you can avoid getting stuck in any one—especially disillusionment/power struggle stage.
- Skills in communication and understanding each other (this will be practiced)
- Tools to help you become successful in changing behaviours to create harmony and connection
- Your blueprint to create the kind of marriage or committed partnership you each want
- Skills in connecting with your partner in a way that touches your hearts
- Skills for balancing the need for closeness and separateness.
IS THE RETREAT RELIGIOUS?
No. Care is taken to respect each individual’s personal and religious values without judgement or attempts to change them. Hopefully, those with a religious background will learn to draw on that as a valuable resource in co-creating a successful marriage or relationship. We encourage people attending to use whatever images and language they are comfortable with in incorporating the concepts of relationship.
CAN JUST ONE PARTNER FROM THE RELATIONSHIP ATTEND?
No. The very nature of the weekend retreat promotes interaction and a deeper understanding between the two partners. Both partners must attend and should plan to commit to staying for the entire weekend retreat from start to finish. If your partner won’t attend a couples’ weekend, consider joining the Individuals weekend entitled – Preparation for Partnership: How to Fall in Love and Stay in Love. Please refer to my website for this information.
WHAT ABOUT CONFIDENTIALITY?
While it is impossible to guarantee confidentiality in a group setting, every attempt is made to respect it and to encourage all participants to respect it. Name tags will have first name only. Any other information given at registration is kept confidential by my office.
HOW DO I REGISTER?
If you are paying by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express, you can:
- a) Register on-line through our secure server, or
- b) Call 1.888.675.0128
WHAT ARE TYPICAL FEES FOR THE COUPLES RETREAT WEEKENDS?
The fee for the couple is $1195 which can be paid in two installments. The first installment is at time of registration and the 2nd installment is on the Friday of the weekend retreat. Meals and accommodations are not included in the retreat fee. Please ask for a list of local accommodations if required.
ARE THERE ANY DISCOUNTS FOR THE COUPLES RETREAT WEEKENDS?
Receive a discount of $100 by paying for the registration in full.
If you refer another couple who attends the workshop you attend, you pay only $550 for the weekend retreat. If you refer two couples who attend, you come for FREE!
If you have other questions, e-mail Kathleen or call her at 1.888.675.0128